Hello lovelies, how is everything going? This week had been particularly stressful so I’m welcoming the weekend with open arms. By the way, I still suck at naming posts. I’m still trying to improve.
I live in Nigeria and Nigerians are very good at invading people’s privacy and giving unsolicited opinions and comments. In fact, some see it as a constitutional right. I have received very weird comments about my hair and I decided to share some. Here goes:
1. “Why don’t you want to relax your hair?”
Me: Errr because it’s my hair and I don’t want to relax it. Simple. This often leads to a follow up question
2. “Doesn’t hurt when you comb it?”
Ladies and gentlemen, again it’s my hair and I can determine if it’s hurting me or not. Thanks for your concern.
3. “This your natural hair is so stressful and expensive.”
Me: Thank you for the observation but I’m not complaining. If I need your help, I’ll let you know.
4. “You’ll soon get tired of natural hair, you’ll see”
Me: Thanks for the discouragement. When I’m tired, you’ll be the first to know.
5. Having every headache attributed to my hair. Me: I have a headache. People: It’s because of your hair. When you relax your hair, you’ll be alright. Me: *eye roll*
6. People trying to touch my hair: This isn’t so bad though. Weird, but not bad. The only time it irritates me is if they touch it without permission.
7. “Is this how it’s supposed to look?” No, please tell me how it’s meant to look maybe I missed something.
8. My personal favorite: “Men do not like women with natural hair, they are usually feminists.” The day I heard this I experienced a range of emotions. From anger to disbelief to confusion and back to anger. Like are you serious? Someone once said, as a female (unmarried) in Nigeria, your whole life is an audition for a husband. All decisions, major decisions(like career choices) to minor decisions(like hair) have to be made based on that. Honestly, this deserves it’s own post.
If you are guilty of asking any of the above questions or making any of those comments, this is a Public Service Announcement: PLEASE STOP. Questions like these can be irritating and embarrassing. It just creates a big deal over something so simple and basic as hair.
A friend once told me that naturalistas are very defensive and almost militant about their hair. Well, blatantly questioning someone’s choices by asking those kind of questions will simply push their backs against the wall and make them even more defensive. Go figure.
This doesn’t mean my hair does not get compliments because it actually does. Some people ask me weird questions out of ignorance and I do my best to answer them, I even try to chip in some haircare tips. However, some ask questions with so much sarcasm and malice that it gets me riled.
Has anybody make weird/annoying comments about your hair? How do you respond?
Please like, comment and share.
I leave you with my mantra for the week: It’s not what you say to everyone else that determines your life; it’s what you whisper to yourself that has the greatest power.
Enjoy your weekend.